Not too many more of these monthly updates left! This first year has really flown by. I love watching Owen grow and change, but it is bittersweet to realize that my tiny infant is gone forever!
My sweet, happy boy!
Here’s what Owen was up to in February (month 11):
- Vital stats: 19.6 lb.; 30″ long. Wearing 12-18-month clothes and size 4 shoes. Still only 8 teeth; those first molars are taking their time!
- Likes: Pineapple, pizza, graham crackers, ice cream (I probably shouldn’t have given him that, but he begged for it and loved it); throwing toys down the stairs; brushing his teeth; drinking from a straw; spitting (sigh); playing with shoelaces; baths; “wrestling” with daddy. He’s also OBSESSED with this book of dog pictures–he begs to read it about 10 times a day (sometimes it’s the first thing he points at when he wakes up!) and laughs his head off every time we read it to him. So cute!
- Dislikes: His car seat; having toys taken away.
- Accomplishments: Standing unsupported (a couple of times); squatting; shaking his head “no”; babbling “mama” and “dada” all day; walking while holding our hands.
- Challenges: Owen fell down two steps by our front door and got his first split lip. Even worse, it was while Robby was traveling for work so I had to deal with the blood and screaming all by myself–though I think it was more traumatic for me than for Owen! We also traveled to Atlanta for a family wedding, which was fun, but Owen’s sleep schedule got totally wrecked. He barely slept the whole time we were there, and it took him almost 2 weeks to get back on track.
Owen is actually turning 11 months tomorrow (I refuse to accept that he’s almost 1!), so I figure I’d better get this update written out while he’s still technically 10 months old.
Love my happy boy!
He wanted my phone and was quite offended that I wouldn't share!
He thinks he's a puppy. :)
Month 10 (January) was a fun one–Owen just keeps getting bigger and stronger, and more interactive, too! Here’s how he grew and changed:
- Vital stats: 19.2 lb. (he’s finally filling out a bit!); 29.5″ long. Wearing 12-month (and some 18-month) clothes and size 3.5 shoes. Still only 8 teeth, although those first molars are definitely on their way!
- Likes: Going for walks (mainly, I suspect, because he enjoys eating off the stroller’s snack tray), “dancing,” giving daddy a big hug when he gets home from work (awwww), baths, shoelaces, blocks, throwing toys and food, watching clothes spin around in the dryer.
- Dislikes: His car seat, loud noises, strangers.
- Accomplishments: The most fun ones are clapping, reaching, and pointing–and also making the sign for “milk” a few times! Owen’s also eating lots of table foods, playing independently, climbing the stairs (yikes), and paying attention to books (this makes his librarian mommy very happy!). And we also did some sleep training, which FINALLY got him on a somewhat-predictable nap schedule. Hallelujah, and thank you, Dr. Weissbluth!
- Challenges: This isn’t really specific to Owen, but Robby had to go on a 5-day work trip in early January. Owen is a pretty easy-going kid, but it was HARD to be the solo parent for 5 straight days! We also renovated our upstairs bathroom (5 feet from Owen’s crib) in January, which caused a lot of sleep interruptions. Glad to have both of those things done with!
I cannot believe I’ve only got two more of these updates left before Owen is ONE. Slow down, baby!
Love that big smile!
Month 9 included Owen’s first Christmas and New Year’s Eve. He was rather bemused by the Christmas festivities, and asleep by 9pm on NYE. Heh. Here’s hoping he enjoys the holidays more next year!
He was more interested in the Christmas decorations than the presents.
Penguin sweater courtesy of Nana!
Here’s the standard update:
- Vital stats: 18 lb. (he actually lost weight since last month, sigh…); 29.5″ long. Wearing 12-month clothes and size 3.5 shoes (he wears shoes!). And he now has 8 teeth!
- Likes: Petting Lucy, shoelaces, blocks, throwing toys and food, going for walks, playing peekaboo, giving high fives (so cute!), music, eating veggie sticks and Snapea Crisps.
- Dislikes: His car seat, loud noises, being told “no” (we’re in for trouble when he gets to be a toddler!).
- Accomplishments: Walking with a push toy, pushing himself into a sitting position, saying “dada.”
- Challenges: We’ve started sleep training, which has been rough. Owen’s also going through a separation anxiety phase, so there has been a fair amount of crying around our house lately. Overall, though, he is a really happy baby, and we are so blessed!
I know I say this every month, but I just can’t believe how fast my baby is growing! I want time to slow down. That said, month 8 was a major one–Owen became mobile! Crawling has been both fun and challenging (for all of us!).
8 months old already!
"Let me see that camera, mom. Pleeeeeease!"
- Vital stats: 18 lb., 2 oz.; 28.5″ long. 9-month clothes are getting too short, so he’s mostly wearing 12-month stuff now, even though it’s all too big for his skinny little waist…
- Likes: Speed crawling and pulling up on furniture (!), hugging daddy when he gets home from work (awwwww), aquariums, musical toys, pens/electrical cords/remotes/keyboards/phones (sigh), hair-pulling (double sigh), bathtime, drinking from a straw, and Lucy, as always! Food-wise, he likes bananas, butternut squash, peas, puffs, waffles, and these apple-ginger teething cookies I found at Target.
- Dislikes: His car seat, loud noises, having things taken away from him (electrical cords and pens, mainly).
- Accomplishments: Crawling, cruising on furniture, and walking while holding our hands!
- Challenges: Poor little Owen has had 3 colds in a 2-month span. We are all getting pretty tired of the congestion and snot! Also, he can pull up on furniture but hasn’t figured out how to get himself down yet, so he does a fair amount of whining. Overall, though, his cute moments far outnumber his difficult ones!
Owen really is the sweetest, cutest, happiest baby we’ve ever known, and it is so fun to watch his little personality develop each day. We are so blessed to be his parents!
Month 7 was a big one for us, mainly because we were able to legally finalize Owen’s adoption! It is such a relief to know that he is permanently OURS!
Legally a Stephenson!
October also brought Owen’s first haircut and his first Halloween. He did great at the kids’ salon and sat so still!
Bye-bye, baby combover!
For Halloween, we dressed him up as Harry Potter, in a scarf and sweater vest I made him and glasses I found on Amazon:
Harry and Hedwig had a great Halloween!
Halloween also marked his 7th “month-day.” He’s getting so big!
It's hard to get a good picture when he won't sit still! ;)
Here’s what month 7 looked like:
- Vital stats: 18 lb with clothes on; 28″ long. Wearing 9-month clothes, although some of them are getting too small and he fits in a few 12-month outfits (whoa!).
- Likes: Lucy, as always! Owen also likes story time at the library, baths, babbling, rolling like a log, “crawling” (more like inch-worming), shopping with mommy (especially when he gets to ride in the cart). Food-wise, we’ve found that he enjoys bananas, butternut squash, and peas.
- Dislikes: His car seat, sleeping (sigh), not being able to play with our phones/remotes/tablets/computers.
- Accomplishments: Owen is also soooo close to crawling, and has even started pulling up and cruising on furniture (ack!). He is also babbling a lot and can say “mama” and “baba” (although we don’t think he really associates those sounds with actual concepts yet).
- Challenges: Now that he’s getting more mobile, Owen is starting to get frustrated with his limitations. That means lots of whining when he can’t reach what he wants or get to where he wants to go!
I love seeing how much our little guy has grown and developed, but it sure it bittersweet to realize how big he’s getting. I miss my sweet, snuggly little newborn!