Not too many more of these monthly updates left! This first year has really flown by. I love watching Owen grow and change, but it is bittersweet to realize that my tiny infant is gone forever!
My sweet, happy boy!
Here’s what Owen was up to in February (month 11):
- Vital stats: 19.6 lb.; 30″ long. Wearing 12-18-month clothes and size 4 shoes. Still only 8 teeth; those first molars are taking their time!
- Likes: Pineapple, pizza, graham crackers, ice cream (I probably shouldn’t have given him that, but he begged for it and loved it); throwing toys down the stairs; brushing his teeth; drinking from a straw; spitting (sigh); playing with shoelaces; baths; “wrestling” with daddy. He’s also OBSESSED with this book of dog pictures–he begs to read it about 10 times a day (sometimes it’s the first thing he points at when he wakes up!) and laughs his head off every time we read it to him. So cute!
- Dislikes: His car seat; having toys taken away.
- Accomplishments: Standing unsupported (a couple of times); squatting; shaking his head “no”; babbling “mama” and “dada” all day; walking while holding our hands.
- Challenges: Owen fell down two steps by our front door and got his first split lip. Even worse, it was while Robby was traveling for work so I had to deal with the blood and screaming all by myself–though I think it was more traumatic for me than for Owen! We also traveled to Atlanta for a family wedding, which was fun, but Owen’s sleep schedule got totally wrecked. He barely slept the whole time we were there, and it took him almost 2 weeks to get back on track.
I cannot believe I’ve only got two more of these updates left before Owen is ONE. Slow down, baby!
Love that big smile!
Month 9 included Owen’s first Christmas and New Year’s Eve. He was rather bemused by the Christmas festivities, and asleep by 9pm on NYE. Heh. Here’s hoping he enjoys the holidays more next year!
He was more interested in the Christmas decorations than the presents.
Penguin sweater courtesy of Nana!
Here’s the standard update:
- Vital stats: 18 lb. (he actually lost weight since last month, sigh…); 29.5″ long. Wearing 12-month clothes and size 3.5 shoes (he wears shoes!). And he now has 8 teeth!
- Likes: Petting Lucy, shoelaces, blocks, throwing toys and food, going for walks, playing peekaboo, giving high fives (so cute!), music, eating veggie sticks and Snapea Crisps.
- Dislikes: His car seat, loud noises, being told “no” (we’re in for trouble when he gets to be a toddler!).
- Accomplishments: Walking with a push toy, pushing himself into a sitting position, saying “dada.”
- Challenges: We’ve started sleep training, which has been rough. Owen’s also going through a separation anxiety phase, so there has been a fair amount of crying around our house lately. Overall, though, he is a really happy baby, and we are so blessed!
Month 7 was a big one for us, mainly because we were able to legally finalize Owen’s adoption! It is such a relief to know that he is permanently OURS!
Legally a Stephenson!
October also brought Owen’s first haircut and his first Halloween. He did great at the kids’ salon and sat so still!
Bye-bye, baby combover!
For Halloween, we dressed him up as Harry Potter, in a scarf and sweater vest I made him and glasses I found on Amazon:
Harry and Hedwig had a great Halloween!
Halloween also marked his 7th “month-day.” He’s getting so big!
It's hard to get a good picture when he won't sit still! ;)
Here’s what month 7 looked like:
- Vital stats: 18 lb with clothes on; 28″ long. Wearing 9-month clothes, although some of them are getting too small and he fits in a few 12-month outfits (whoa!).
- Likes: Lucy, as always! Owen also likes story time at the library, baths, babbling, rolling like a log, “crawling” (more like inch-worming), shopping with mommy (especially when he gets to ride in the cart). Food-wise, we’ve found that he enjoys bananas, butternut squash, and peas.
- Dislikes: His car seat, sleeping (sigh), not being able to play with our phones/remotes/tablets/computers.
- Accomplishments: Owen is also soooo close to crawling, and has even started pulling up and cruising on furniture (ack!). He is also babbling a lot and can say “mama” and “baba” (although we don’t think he really associates those sounds with actual concepts yet).
- Challenges: Now that he’s getting more mobile, Owen is starting to get frustrated with his limitations. That means lots of whining when he can’t reach what he wants or get to where he wants to go!
I love seeing how much our little guy has grown and developed, but it sure it bittersweet to realize how big he’s getting. I miss my sweet, snuggly little newborn!
Well, I’m a few weeks late on this, but Owen recently had his fourth “month-day”! This past month has been my favorite so far. He’s just such a fun, happy baby, and he’s learning and growing so much!
My sweet, charming, handsome boy!
And now for the update…
- Vital stats: 15 lb, 3 oz; 26″ long. Wearing 6 month clothes (and some 9-month sleepers and onesies–he has a crazy-long torso!).
- Likes: Baths, giggling, singing at church, watching Lucy and laughing at her antics (soooo cute), talking to mommy and daddy, grabbing EVERYTHING and putting it all in his mouth, going for walks, being held in the Ergo, and rubbing his fingers over things to feel textures. And he’s finally started to like tummy time now that he can hold himself up for longer stretches of time!
- Dislikes: Loud noises (he screams in terror, poor baby), being hungry, his car seat, and vaccinations (those 4-month shots were brutal).
- Accomplishments: Long belly laughs, pushing objects off the table, rolling over both ways, and sleeping through the night somewhat consistently!
- Challenges: Owen is a horrible napper. He typically only takes 2 (sometimes 3) 20-30 minute naps during the day, which makes it hard to get things done during the day, especially since he doesn’t like to be put down for more than a few minutes at a time. I need to remind myself everyday that spending time with my him is more important than getting the laundry done or the floor swept!
I can’t believe how big my baby is getting. Time is flying way too quickly!
Wow, I can hardly believe my little guy is 25% of the way to his first birthday! Time goes way too fast. The fact that he gets more and more adorable every day helps, though. See what I mean?
Such a big boy!
And now for the update…
- Vital stats: 14 lb, 6 oz; 24.5″ long. Wearing 3-6 month clothes.
- Likes: Baths, eating, singing, talking to mommy and daddy, grabbing toys, chewing his hands, playing peekaboo.
- Dislikes: Tummy time, being hungry, pacifiers. Owen has also decided he’s no longer a fan of his activity mat for some reason, unfortunately.
- Accomplishments: Giggling (soooo cute!), drooling, grabbing toys and putting them in his mouth. Owen is *this close* to rolling from back to front, too! He pulls up his legs and turns on to his side almost every time we put him down on his back.
- Challenges: Nighttime sleep is a challenge…we can’t swaddle Owen anymore because he’s too strong and too close to rolling over, so he wakes himself up at least 3 times per night. I know it will get better soon, though!
We are so blessed to be Owen’s parents. We love our happy baby!