Weekend Project: Upholstered Headboard

Last Saturday, Robby and I finally got around to a project that I’ve been wanting to do for ages: an upholstered headboard for our bed!

Upholstered headboard, before installation.

We followed the instruction on our friend Jen’s blog, using a piece of scrap wood and a velvet curtain panel. The hardest part of the whole project was sewing on the buttons–three of them broke because the thread was pulled too tightly, so I had to go in and rip them all out to adjust the tension.

In the end, though, I love the result and I’m so happy we did it! You can read the complete instructions on Jen’s blog, but here are some pictures of the steps we took:

After cutting the board to the right size (60" wide by 24" high for a queen-sized bed), we measured and pre-drilled holes for sewing on the buttons.

Next, we used spray adhesive to attach 2" thick foam.

The next step was stapling on a double layer of quilt batting.

Next, we stapled the curtain panel on top of the batting, then used an upholstery needle to sew on the buttons. We used staples to hold the thread in place on the back of the headboard.

Finally, we mounted the headboard to the wall using a tool called a French cleat. Please ignore my dirty project clothes...

Here’s the final product, with the bed freshly made:

Pretty headboard!

You might notice some other changes to the room, too. I’ve been slowly re-decorating both our bedroom and the guest bedroom, and I’m about 80% done.

Here’s what the master bedroom looked like 2 years ago when I moved in after we got married:

Bedroom before.

And here’s the room today:

Bedroom, almost completely redecorated.

Obviously, we painted the walls. :) We used a color called Nimbus Cloud, from the Martha Stewart line at Home Depot. We also got a new nightstand for my side of the bed, and I made some custom DIY “art” (I used my computer and printer to create some words and letters, and then put them in some cheap black frames).

There are still a few things I’d like to do, like stain the dresser and other nightstand black to match the new one, get a new mirror to put over the dresser, and maybe get a bench like this one to put at the end of the bed. Oh, and eventually we have plans for a major master bathroom remodel…but for now, I’m loving the changes we’ve made to the bedroom! It’s becoming my favorite room in the house. :)

2 thoughts on “Weekend Project: Upholstered Headboard”

  1. It turned out GREAT! I still love ours and find that it’s super comfy to lean up against while reading in bed :) They’re pretty easy to make, just cumbersome.

    Check one more project off your to do list now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>