This would be a great breakfast recipe, but Robby doesn’t really eat breakfast unless I remind him. So we make this for dinner occasionally.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 4 slices of bread (I use ciabatta panini rolls from Trader Joe’s, but brioche or french bread would also be great)
- 2 tbsp. mustard (I use whole grain, but dijon would work too)
- 2 slices havarti or swiss cheese
- 2 oz. ham
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. milk
- 1 tsp. butter
- Spread mustard on 2 pieces of bread.
- Place ham and cheese slices on other 2 pieces.
- Whisk eggs, parmesan, and milk together.
- Melt butter in a small skillet and add egg mixture.
- Cook eggs until mostly solid (about 4 minutes) and flip over for another 1 minute.
- Cut omelet in half and place one half on each sandwich.
- Close sandwiches and brush with olive oil.
- Cook sandwiches on a grill (I use a George Foreman grill, it works great!) or a sandwich press.
These are pretty filling, so I usually just serve them with a light fruit salad.
One of the things that helps me stay organized is planning our meals in advance. I take about 30 minutes a week to sit down with the calendar (Robby and I sync our Google Calendars–ah, geek love!), my cookbooks, the grocery list, and my coupons, and plan out about 7-10 days’ worth of meals. Then I list the meals and cookbook pages on a magnetic calendar on the fridge, organize my coupons, and hit the grocery store to shop for all the ingredients.
I love this system because I don’t have to think much when I get home from work–I just look at the menu on the fridge, look up the recipe, pull out the ingredients, and get cooking!
I usually try to plan quick and easy things during the week since we’re so busy, but I use the weekends to try out new or more complicated recipes.
So, without further ado, here are the meals we enjoyed last week:
- Sunday: Hamburgers and pasta salad
- Monday: Chicken potstickers and brown rice
- Tuesday: Kim worked until 8, so we just had sandwiches
- Wednesday: Lasagna rolls and green beans
- Thursday: BBQ pork loin with salad and rolls
- Friday: Steak and mashed potatoes
- Saturday: Ham, egg, and cheese panini